I’m proud to be among the few photographers in the world that have the opportunity to field test the X-T2 over the past month for Fujifilm Middle East, I’ve traveled through Spain, Portugal, and France, to put this camera to the test, watching the results, taking notes and capture the quality of it all as i roam.
Felt excited to receive two kits from my friends at Fujifilm ME for this review and more excited to enjoy the amazing results of the Fujifilm X-T2. It felt so good exploring cities, islands and off the beaten bath locations on this beautiful earth for interesting and sometimes challenging photos while leading tours through Europe with my company Olé Travels.
This reviews is more about my actual experience in-the-field rather than detailed technical camera round. so don't expect to see charts, tables of comparisons and f-stops differences. For me the real world, on-location test is everything i trust and fortunately my passion for Travel takes me far enough to capture unique moments happily with the X-T2 and that's what i'll share plenty of, in here.
My main aim from the photographs i create is to connect with the viewer's experiences, memories and emotions and that's the reason i focus most of the time on sharing how my visual journey felt like, more than recording how it simply looked, unless of course im shooting a very dramatic scene by nature and since this approach in landscape and outdoors photography is more of a creative art form that have a Soul, there is no need to be perfectly real. Yet the capabilities of my tool is very important to deliver this artistic vision while not getting in the way of my creative process and that's where X-T2 fits in.
Fujifilm Cameras and Lenses as my main Travel / Daily kit
When i first got my hand on X-T1 I loved everything about it, then having the X-T10, and using it consistently for almost a year without using my DSLR, made it clear i am deeply satisfied and in love. From using X-T10, X-T1, to the point I was handed the brand new X-T2, that camera has never left my side till now even as i write this review.
X-T2 is the Champion!
First thing i would like to share here is that the X-T2 is a game changer, as it’s the first mirrorless camera in the market that can truly and fully compete with DSLRs in terms of performance. If you loved the X-T1, you’ll love the X-T2. It feels like a faster, better version of the X-T1 that I love.
Now before i go further with the photos, for those of you reading and looking for the tech specs, here are some of the most important feature specifications of the new Fujifilm X-T2:
X-T2 Camera Specification:
- 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III Sensor
- X-Processor Pro image processing engine
- Magnesium alloy body with improved (lock and release) dials.
- Dust and water sealed at 63 points
- Compact and lightweight at 507g (including memory card and battery)
- Ability to operate at low temperatures of -10 degrees celsius
- 14bit RAW lossless compression
- Various video shooting options 4K (3840×2160) 30fps and Full HD / 60fps
- 100Mbps video bit rate at both 4k and full HD video
- Clean HDMI 4K output as well as “F-Log” shooting mode (F-log is basicly flat footages)
- Maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 seconds. 1/32000 electronic shutter
- Flash synchro speed of 1/250 seconds
- Auto Focus up to 325 points
- EVF is 2.36 million dots. Refresh rate up to 100fps
- 3-direction tilting LCD screen
- Dual UHS-II SD Card Slots
- Improved Standard ISO range 200-12800. Can extend to 100/25600/51200.
- Wi-Fi built-in. Remote shooting correspondence. Instax Share printer support
- Normal / boost mode switching
- Exposure compensation +/- 5EV
- 256-segment metering (multi-spot average, spot, center-weighted)
- Built in Interval Shooting
- 3.5mm microphone jack. 2.5mm remote terminal. USB3.0 terminal. Micro HDMI terminal
- Support of all of Fujinon X mount lenses
X-T2 Vertical Power Booster Grip Specifications:
- Dust-resistant, water-resistant and capable of operating at temperatures as low as -10°C. It fits two batteries, bringing the total number of batteries to three, including the one on the camera, to increase the maximum number of frames that can be taken per charge to approx. 1,000 (Normal mode). In the Boost mode, multiple batteries can operate at the same time to give a boost to camera performance in continuous shooting, shooting interval, shutter release time lag and blackout time, while also extending the duration of 4K video recording to approx. 30 minutes. It is an accessory that can maximize the performance of the X-T2.
- The Grip features the shutter release button, focus lever, AE-L button, AF-L button, command dials, Q button and Fn button to provide the same level of excellent operability in vertical shooting as you get in horizontal operation.
- The Grip also features a headphone jack to enable audio monitoring during video recording.
- The Grip itself has battery-charging functionality. Using the AC adapter supplied (AC-9VS), you can fully charge two batteries at the same time in approx. 2 hours.
Hands On Impressions With The Fujifilm X-T2
Let me cut things down for you with the most important updates for me personally:
Bigger updated 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor for Fujifilm X-T2 is just beautiful, clean and crisp and with fast processor, new menu system (similar to the X-Pro2), 3 way articulating LCD screen, improved ISO performance and full 4k video support, It's a trusted tank!
Excellent High ISO Performance allows me to shoot starry night with confidence now as well as any low light/night shots situation. In scenarios where I’d need 3200 ISO, i get a very good quality at 12800 ISO (expandable to 51200). Super Fast focusing with 91/325 focus points is handy for me, to be more in control of how my subject shows precisely in my the story. Faster Burst Mode is mind blowing with up to 1/32,000 of a second and 14 FPS. Updated EVC to +/- 5 stops, on the dial it’s -/+3EV in either direction but 2 more stops are available in a separate ‘C’ setting. I mostly use manual but when I use AV mode I use exposure compensation for every shot. Having 10 stops of compensation is a big deal for me.
The controls on the Fuji system are wonderful as well as powerful. There’s no touchscreen yet, but the film-camera-inspired buttons are well thought of and in my humble opinion better than any other system in the market now. The only issue with the controls on the X-T1 was having to press a button before the four-way selector could be used to control which focus point was active. No more! Fuji released a joystick for the X-PRO2 and they’ve brought it to the X-T2! and let me tell you, the tiny little joystick feels more intuitive to play around with focus points. It just feels Awesome to switch between the silly number of focus points quickly and easily. Happily enough The autofocus system in the X-T2 is fast and precise as lightning. It’s the best autofocus on any camera I’ve ever used. Period.
There are also many little ergonomic updates that excites me, Things that makes my life as a photographer easier on the road, like Dual Card Slots, Bigger Viewfinder, Tilt Screen... For those upgrading from X-T1 to X-T2 will definitely feel comfortable, and happy with the updates.
September was beautiful in Portugal and i enjoyed shooting those cloudy epic skies that we don't have often in Dubai. My favourite part was the crazy beautiful sunset that that allowed me to push the X-T2 to it's limit, and the result was more than satisfying. Specially with the amazing dynamic range reserved by Fujifilm RAW files (RAF) that truly gave me instant happiness from the back LED screen, and standing on top of a sleeping volcano with a turquoise lake view and clouds passing through you was the perfect situation to test the power of the new 24MP sensor and humidity sealing.
If you’re interested in visiting Portugal, I highly recommend staying tuned for a soon-to-be-released trip with Olé Travels at www.oletravels.com. Whether you’re into photography, hiking, or just cultural happiness, we know all the best spots and can make your visit a wonderful experience
The magnesium alloy body is weather-proof and capable of operating in temperatures as low as -10C which was best demonstrated in a high humidity top of the Volcano in Lago do Fogo, Azores.
Post-Processing With The Fujifilm X-T2
Raw image processing is a very important part of my final vision and over workflow. With the amazing new X-Trans Sensor, i simply feel more confident with the superb dynamic range even when shooting in extreme light contrast scenes. Take a look at this before and after sunset image shooting. The final result was created from a 11 RAW exposures, edited in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
Click left & right arrows to see before & after
The Result from a single RAW are very powerful as well. In the photo below, i pushed the sliders too far inside Lightroom and finished it up with Nik Color Efex Pro filter to get this result.
Click left & right arrows to see before & after
If you’re interested in learning how I shoot and post-process my photos, as well as learning how I use Lightroom and photoshop as my main workflow, Join my VIP Photographers Club to receive Lightroom & Photoshop tutorials, on-location videos and freebies.
Fujifilm X-T2 video
Fuji now is a super performer in the video aspect. The XT2 delivers full 4k video, on the SD card and that alone is a big news for me since i shoot and edit video more often lately, but wait there's more. If you want to know more, you can watch the Hands on Review video below (Entirely shot with X-T2) i created while traveling through Europe.
The Future is Fujifilm
I have been shooting with Fujifilm X-Series Cameras and Lenses full-time for a long while now and my experience have always been incredibly satisfying and seeing their tremendous progress of their compact mirrorless cameras and lenses I’m consistently impressed with the incredible attention to details and how Fuji truly listens to it's users while providing the best ergonomics, portability and top notch imaging and optics.
I can confidently say that the future is Fujifilm, I know it's my future to start with!
If you have any further questions, post them below or buzz me on social media
and i'll get to you as soon as i can.
And, if you’re interested in buying a Fujifilm X-T2 for yourself,
You can order it from B&H, Amazon and they ship worldwide.
About the authore